Geriatric psychiatry, also derieved as geropsychiatry, psychogeriatrics or psychiatry of old age, is a subspecialty of psychiatry dealing with the study, prevention, and treatment of mental disorders in humans with old age.
Mental disorders in the elderly includes -
- Affective disorders (depression).
- Delusional disorders (psychosis).
- Anxiety disorders.
- Substance abuse disorders.
Causes and risk factors for senior mental illness -
- Physical disability.
- Long-term illness (e.g., heart disease or cancer).
- Dementia-causing illness (e.g. Alzheimer’s disease).
- Physical illnesses that can affect thought, memory, and emotion (e.g. thyroid or adrenal disease).
- Change of environment, like moving into assisted living.
- Illness or loss of a loved one.
- Medication interactions.
- Alcohol or substance abuse.
- Poor diet or malnutrition.